For very nervous or phobic patients we offer IV Sedation. This involves the use of drugs to help the patient relax during the dental procedure. We offer this service both on the NHS as referral patients from other practices in the London Borough of Lewisham and privately for those outside the borough or can not wait for the referral or waiting times.
Please read and take note of the following carefully:
*Adults and Children must not eat or drink anything 3 hours prior to your sedation appointment, this includes CHEWING GUM.
*You must arrive at the clinic with your escort (they cannot just pick you up later). YOUR ESCORT MUST BE OVER THE AGE OF 18. YOU MAY NOT GO HOME BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT.
Please avoid alcohol and recreational drugs days before the sedation.
You must fill in a sedation consent form prior to arriving at the clinic, please arrive 10 minutes early to allow for this to be completed.
If there are any changes, developments or queries with regards to your treatment, please let the surgery know prior to your sedation. Another consultation appointment may be necessary depending on the nature of the query.
For cancellations or re-arrange please contact the surgery 5 working days in advance.
SEDATION IS NOT A GENERAL ANAESTHETIC
- We need to know of any medical condition or medication you may be taking. In some circumstances a letter from your doctor may be necessary.
- Do not have anything to eat or drink 3 hours before your appointment. The only exception to this rule is for medicines that you need to take. Take all medication as usual, with minimal amount of water.
- You may experience some transient loss of memory of events surrounding your treatment; YOU MUST, THEREFORE, BE ACCOMPANIED BY A RESPONSIBLE PERSON TO ESCORT YOU HOME, WHO MUST MAKE THEMSELVES KNOWN TO A MEMBER OF CLINIC STAFF ON ARRIVAL. Under no circumstances should you drive.
- If possible, avoid bringing people other than your escort with you to the clinic. Please avoid bringing young children with you.
- Do not use any alcohol for 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- Arrange to have someone to stay with you for at least 24 hours.
- Do not wear make-up, nail varnish or jewellery.
- Wear flat-heeled shoes, as you may be unsteady on your feet.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes (sleeves should be able to roll up above elbow)
- Bring a spectacle or contact lens case (if worn)
- Arrive in good time for your appointment.
- Please wear a Mask and bring your own pen.
- Please avoid using practice toilet if possible.
- If you pay for your treatment please pay by card only if possible.
AT THE APPOINTMENT
Escorts/parents are not allowed to stay in the theatre after sedation has been induced.
For 24 hours you MUST NOT:
- Drive a vehicle, ride a bicycle or operate machinery.
- Make important decisions or sign papers.
- Cook, including boiling a kettle.
- Take sleeping tablets or drink alcohol.
- Breast- feeding mothers should not breast feed babies for 24 hours after the sedation.
For 24 hours you MUST:
- Rest adequately.
- Eat light, easy digestible meals.
- Take medication as normally, unless instructed to do otherwise by clinic staff.
Please note: If you are a fee-paying patient please be aware that you will be required to pay the full fee for the appropriate band in which your required treatment falls even though you may have paid some money to your dentist.
Outside of our opening hours please call NHS 111 for any dental emergency.